Sharing the road with large semi-trucks can be nerve-wracking for some drivers, but here’s how to avoid making your next trip a disaster!
When driving anywhere, you always need to pay 100% attention to your surroundings. The slightest lapse in attention and you can quickly find yourself in a dangerous situation. There are a lot of vehicles on the road, including semi-trucks and trailers. We all need to do our part to drive safely.
In the following article, we’ll check out some excellent tips for avoiding accidents with semi-trucks on the roads and highways.
Tips for Avoiding Accidents with Semi-Trucks!
- Don’t Cut Them Off – While semi-trucks may move a little slower than other vehicles, and it’s easy to get frustrated, don’t cut them off. If you do need to pass or overtake a large truck, allow yourself plenty of space and give them some space too. It takes a lot longer for a truck to stop and also avoid a collision because of its size and weight.
- Avoid Blind Spots – Semi-trucks have large blind spots—much more than a regular vehicle. When overtaking a semi-truck, always try to do it from the driver’s side where they have a bigger field of vision. When passing, be sure to give yourself plenty of room and never assume that they can see you.
- Don’t Brake Suddenly – Never brake suddenly in front of a semi-truck. Their larger size and the weight of their loaded trailers mean they require much more time and space to brake safely. So avoid passing semi-trucks and braking suddenly in front of them.
- Give them Space – Everything that a large truck does take longer and requires more space. If you are sharing the road or highway with semi-trucks, then you need to be aware of them. While drivers will always look out for smaller cars around them, they may not see you until it’s too late. It’s much easier for a driver of a small car to avoid a large truck than vice versa.
- Avoid Distractions – Part of safe driving is giving 100% of your attention to the road. Avoid distractions like your mobile phone when you’re driving. If you start to get tired or distracted while driving, stop and take a break. Stretch your legs and get some fresh air before getting on the road again.
Best Light & Heavy Towing Company in the Colorado Mountains
The last thing anyone wants is to be involved in an accident, especially with a large and fast-moving semi-truck. But, at the end of the day, we all just want to make it safely home to our loved ones or destination.
If you have been involved in an accident with a semi-truck or a Semi-Truck needing a tow in Eagle County or Summit County, our experienced team at Mountain Recovery can help! We offer various services, including flatbed towing, recovery, heavy-duty towing, and affordable roadside assistance.
If you have been involved in any automotive accident in Eagle County or Summit County, Colorado, Mountain Recovery is only a phone call away on 970-476-1124. We operate 24/7, 365-days a year, to keep you trucking and help get your vehicle back on the road.