What is heat really doing to your car, and what should you be looking out for?
Most drivers are aware that pets or children should never be left in a vehicle alone, especially during hot weather. But, apart from that, what other issues can extreme heat cause your car?
As drivers, we need to be aware of how extreme heat can affect our vehicles. We’ll be covering some of the issues you need to be on the lookout for as the hot days of summer hit full effect!
5 Ways Extreme Heat Can Affect Your Car
1. Paint Discolorations – Heat and sunlight are still one of the biggest threats to the exterior of your vehicle. Not only can heat and sunlight cause your paint to fade, but they can also do damage to your dashboard inside your car.
2. Upholstery Damage – If you have a leather interior, then protecting it from sunlight over summer should be high on your priority list. Cracking, fading, rips, and tears in leather and fabric interiors can all be caused by excessive amounts of heat and sunlight.
3. Tire Pressure – Hot air expands. As the days hit their peak temperature, it can cause chaos with your tire pressure. If you have overinflated your tires, this hot air expansion could cause a tire to blow out if you hit a large hole or obstacle in the road.
4. Decreased Battery Performance – Did you know that hot weather, just like cold weather, can affect your battery’s performance? Exposure to extended periods of extreme heat can diminish the lifetime of your battery.
5. Overheating – Overheating is a problem that many drivers experience with older vehicles, but it can also affect new vehicles. It’s always a good idea to ensure that you’re vehicle is topped up with radiator coolant. If you want to be extra cautious on the road, carrying a large container of water in your trunk is a great idea. Not only could it help you, but you may be able to assist another driver that’s stranded and needs water!
Mountain Recovery Roadside Assistance
There you go! Everything you wanted to know about how extreme heat can affect your car. With the latest waves of heat we’ve been dealing with across the country, it makes sense to ensure that you’re doing everything you can to avoid becoming stranded.
If extreme heat is causing chaos with your car, don’t hesitate to call us at Mountain Recovery. Our experienced operators have the knowledge and equipment to tow your vehicle safely. We specialize in all types of vehicle recovery, including flatbed towing.
If you have been involved in any automotive accident in Eagle County or Summit County, Colorado, Mountain Recovery is only a phone call away at 970-476-1124. We operate 24/7, 365-days a year, to keep you moving and help get your AWD vehicle back on the road.